Friday, June 14, 2013

Being Home


“Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave,
but not our hearts.” 
~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
 

We spent our first night in the new place this week. Even with all of the boxes and mess that come with moving, I absolutely love this little apartment we are now calling home.  The kids were excited and have been tearing through the boxes that house their belongings, squealing with excitement as if they haven't seen these items in years, when in reality it's only been a few days.  These two crack me up!

As it came time to get ready for bed the first night, my littlest looked at me and said, "I want to go home now mama." I told her that we are home and she didn't appear to like that answer, frowned a bit and replied, "no I want to go to your home." I tried to explain it as best as I can to a two year old and she soon seemed content with the fact that we were going to be sleeping in this unfamiliar place.

I've been thinking a lot about the idea of home over the last few weeks as I packed up most of my belongings again and moved. This little family of ours has been through a lot of transition in the last few years. We've had a lot of life changes; new jobs, new homes, new people entering our lives and more.

My little ones go back and forth between houses, which I know can be difficult.  While I cannot control this aspect of our lives, I am trying to show them and teach them that "home" means more than the walls we live within.


I want to teach them that home is a place where you feel a sense of belonging; where you know that you are loved no matter what; where you are accepted just as you are; where you feel a sense of security. Home is where there is love, joy, laughter, hope, grace and faith. Where there are those things, then you are home.

What is home to you?



1 comment: