Friday, November 22, 2013

Thankful for His Light



We had finished watching a gorgeous sunset and were headed back.  As we drove, the moon rose above the hill; large, orange and luminescent against a deep blue, quickly darkening sky.  I let out a loud, involuntary exclamation over the beauty of it, "look at the MOON!" and we quickly pulled over in an attempt to catch the splendor of this light.

And it was absolutely beautiful and breathtaking. I didn't get many photos and instead watched it rise higher and higher - a ball of orange and yellow, casting light through the clouds and illuminating the sky.


Photo Credit: Jonathan McGowan, Instagram: @jkrswld1234



I am amazed by the moon. This rock that's completely void of any light in itself, can light up the night sky so brilliantly and boldly as it reflects like a mirror, the light of the sun. It pierces the dark by simply allowing the sun to do what it is supposed to do.

In that moment it dawned on me that my calling, our calling, is so similar to that of the moon's.  I am called to be a light in the darkness, but thankfully I don't have to do it by own might. There was a sense of freedom that came from seeing it In that way. I do not have to generate this light by my own strength, but instead can be a reflection of His light and His love shining through me.

He "turns my darkness into light." He takes my imperfections, fears, doubts and failures and shines light in those dark areas creating hope, peace and love. When I allow God to be God and have His place in my life, than the rest begins to happen. His Spirit at work within me will allow me to be a source of light in the darkness and the hurt of those around me.  It will allow me to show love to those I come in contact with.

"For God, who said, "let light shine out of darkness," made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God's glory displayed in the face of Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

Because He is the source of all light and of all hope.

And the hope we have in Him. . .that hope does not disappoint.

"Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who has given to us." Romans 5:5 NKJV

In the end, that is what so many of us need is to know that there is hope. Even when things are difficult, we have the hope that all things are redeemed and all things are used for good. That is what the moon does in the darkness of night. It offers light and it offers the hope that there is still the sun on the other side doing its job.

So I am thankful for His light and that it can be present in me, and I am thankful for the hope that is found in that knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment