Monday, July 29, 2013

Jesus in Disguise

Last Tuesday I had the awesome opportunity to go with my friend Erin to see Amy Grant and Brandon Heath in concert, as well as spend a little bit of time talking to them beforehand. And when I say it was awesome, that is an understatement. I will freely admit that I was completely star-struck.
 

While I'd like to think that I appeared cool, calm and collected despite what I was actually feeling, I doubt that was completely true.

Here is how I am hoping it went down:

Me: "I enjoy your music. Oh yeah, I've heard World War Z is a great movie and that will be the perfect way to escape the heat."  See I got this; I'm totally not phased by meeting someone I hear on the radio every day.

To onlookers: "That woman looks so calm and relaxed, she must meet famous people just about every day because she carries on a conversation like a PRO." 

How I'm sure it really went down:

Me: "I know who you are; I listen to your music ALL the time."  Awkward pause when I cannot call to mind a title of any song.  OMG! I am meeting Amy Grant and Brandon Heath. I'm right now chatting with a famous singer, someone who has been nominated for a GRAMMY. 5. TIMES! Yep, that's right 5 times, and now I'm here chatting about the day like it ain't no thang. What is something really cool to say? Why CAN I NOT REMEMBER  the name of a single song! I hope I don't have anything stuck in my teeth. Why do I sound like a teenage girl in my head?!

How I probably looked to everyone around me: "Why does she kind of look like she might pass out any second. She is definitely giggling like a teenage groupie and has not stopped smiling the entire time."


Looking at the ear to ear grin on my face in the picture; I'm strongly thinking that it was the second of the two scenarios that took place, lol. Oh well, at least I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been tongue tied when meeting someone famous.

Besides being silly and star-struck beforehand, the concert itself was a fun and uplifting experience. Amy Grant sang some of her newer stuff as well as some of her old hits. Having grown up listening to her music, I think I knew just about every song.

There was some great worship music thrown in the mix, and throughout the night I was reminded of how truly blessed I am. I am very fortunate to have Erin for a friend and I know that if life hadn't taken the turn it did a few years ago, her and I would not be nearly as close. I am always amazed how God weaves stories together and brings the right people in your life at the right time. Although the story of how Erin knows Amy Grant isn't my personal story to tell, it is another example of how God can set things in motion in ways we never imagined in order to show us His love for us.

One of the songs performed was Jesus in Disguise. It was a reminder of the fact that Jesus works through others to show His love, as well as a reminder that we need to be His love to those around us. There is a line that is repeated:

"So open my eyes wide as I can, blind as I am. Jesus in disguise."

I want that to be one of the prayers of my heart; that my eyes are open to all that He is doing in and around me and that I can also be a reflection of His love for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment