Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Swimming in the Ocean's Depths

Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)
Hillsong United
 
You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand
Will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now
 
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior.

When I heard this song for the first time a few weeks ago, I instantly fell in love with it. I will admit that it's been on repeat on my iPhone a lot lately because it is that good.  The lyrics spoke directly to why I actually chose the name of my blog. When I decided to start writing on here, I chose Dancing in the Waves because I truly believe that it is when we step out into the deep waters and lose sight of the shore, we will then discover a life fuller and richer than we ever thought possible. One that is seeped in joy even in the difficult moments. I know that this can be easier said than done many days and that it is a continual journey of learning to trust Him with everything. But I think that He is lovingly patient with each baby step I make towards Him.

Several years ago a close mentor remarked that she had noticed I had the tendency to let fear be a guiding factor in my decision making. These words were spoken in love during a very difficult season of change in my life, with the intent of propelling me to trade my fear for faith.  They were a life changer. In that moment I knew I did not want that to be my legacy or something I passed down to my children. I knew that God has called me to so much more.

I wish I could say that from that day forward I never again let fear rule me, but there are times where I still react out of fear of the unknown or fear of being hurt. Probably more than I'd like to admit. I think the difference is that I now recognize when I am doing it and I am asking God daily to replace my fear with faith. And can I tell you, He is good and He is gracious. I am left humbled and thankful for the joy and love He lavishes upon me. When I pray a prayer of surrendering it all to Him, he fills me with peace.

I am also very thankful for the honest and wise words spoken to me. She spoke difficult truth to me in that moment, but it was what I needed to hear as I faced events that changed me. I was able to ask God to use the hurt to bring me closer to Him.

If you've got a few minutes, listen to the Hillsong United song below.


No comments:

Post a Comment