Friday, September 6, 2013

Cultivating Thankfulness

Slow Down Challenge - Day 5

"One of the curses of living in such a fast-paced society is that we tend to take things for granted.  We overlook everyday blessings, oblivious to the fact that life itself is a gift. . . When we forget to be grateful for the less than extraordinary times, we forget to be grateful, period. Beauty and goodness are all around us; we just need eyes to see them. . . That's not to say bad things don't happen or that injustice and evil are not real. What we do in the worst of times determines who we are all the time.

Today, try saying "thank you" - for everything." ~ Jeff Goins


It was hard for me to not quote all of his post from day 5 of the challenge; it was that good and that convicting. I do believe that at times we can be looking for all of the big stuff to be thankful for and forget the little stuff that occurs every day.

My day 5 of this challenge was Friday and that in itself was something to be thankful for. I've been making a point each morning before I get out of bed to thank the Lord for the day ahead and to offer it up to Him. With the ups and downs of a sometimes hectic life, my desire is to ground myself in what I know to be true and to trust Him with all that is in store.

The weather was warm on Friday, with summer feeling like it has finally arrived as the kids are now back in school. I am thankful for the warm weather while we have it. I spent my lunch break enjoying time outside with amazing company.  I was thankful for the sweet moments of time spent with someone I love.

That evening the kids and I had a low key night at home planned. There was dinner, play time and then relaxing on the couch with a movie. These were simple things, which with my on the go personality type, can feel a little overly ordinary to me at times (again, why I want to learn to really enjoy and savor each and every moment). It was a great night, and at one point as I sat on the couch with a child cuddled up on each side of me, I said a silent prayer of thankfulness for these two I've been tasked with raising.

I do truly have so much to be thankful for and I want to remember that, even in the midst of deadlines, tantrums, bad attitudes, endless loads of laundry and more. I look at these two and even when they're bickering, I am thankful that they have such a love and care for each other.


I am learning to be "grateful for the moments that slow me down, the ones that cause me to take my time." What are the little things that you are thankful for right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment