Thursday, August 29, 2013

Savoring the Moments

Slow Down Challenge Day 2: Savoring

"We must savor every moment. The trouble is sometimes life can be bittersweet. It comes with all kinds of twists and turns, moments when we don't know what the point of it all is.  During those times, it may be tempting to live in the past or want to push ahead to the future. But those are the times we must cherish the most. . . No it's not easy to slow down and enjoy every breath, every meal, every inconvenient interaction. But that is what we must do." ~Jeff Goins

Learning to savor every moment, including the difficult ones, is not an easy task to accomplish.  But when we learn to be grateful, even in the nitty gritty, I truly believe that there are blessings to be had.

The challenge for Day 2 was to take the time to truly savor and enjoy a meal. I will be the first to admit that while I LOVE food, I often find myself rushing through meals. I think my personality can lend itself to hurrying from one thing to the next, thus why I feel this challenge was important to undertake.

I decided to put this into practice over a dinner out with amazing company. I learned a few things:
  1. I just don't think it's in my DNA to chew a bite of food a minimum of 20 times. I mean it; it's just impossible.
  2. It's really easy to smile between bites when you are sharing a meal with someone you love.
  3. Being present in the moment enables you to value the relationship, the time spent in community and appreciate the little things you might otherwise overlook when rushing. For instance; how deliciously sweet watermelon tastes on a warm summer evening, how mango salsa takes a chicken sandwich from just good to plain wow, and how a good laugh can make a bad day ten times better.





1 comment: